This course is hosted by Ryan Helms, creator of the successful Kickstarter project for The Side Hustle Journal and host of the Hustle To Freedom podcast. Join me as we walk you step-by-step through the process of how to launch a Kickstarter, including creating, launching, and fulfilling a successful Kickstarter campaign for your physical product idea.
If you are launching a non-physical product, such as a film, you will find it valuable but the content will be directed at someone launching a physical product on the Kickstarter platform.
I will use my experience for launching a Kickstarter that raised over 10x my funding goal and how I did it all for less than $800.
Please note: This course is intended for those who already have an idea and plan to launch a physical product on Kickstarter. Everything I share will be specific to the Kickstarter platform. There will be overlap with other platforms, such as IndieGoGo, but everything I show will be on the Kickstarter platform.
This course will take you all the way through the Kickstarter process. All you need is an idea.
I will focus on the four main areas of a Kickstarter, starting with:
The pre-planning phase can be one of the most challenging aspects of the entire project and it is without a doubt, the most important!
What you do in this phase will make or break the success of your project.
By the end of this section you will know:
- How and when to reach out to bloggers, media, and influencers to promote your product. The response rate on cold emails to these audiences can be very low so you need to have a very strong message and you need to send it at the right time. If you send it too early, they may publish too far in advance of your project and the buzz dies. If you send it too late, they may post after your campaign ends.
- How to find a manufacturer and what to look for in a supplier that will provide a top quality product, on time. You wouldn’t believe that over 80% of Kickstarter campaigns deliver their product late to the backers because they have issues with the manufacturing process.
- How to calculate your margins so you know what you need to sell your product for. I will provide you with a spreadsheet to calculate your margins – just plug in your expected cost.
People from all over the world will be navigating to your Kickstarter page because they think what you are creating is awesome. When they hit your page, it will take them less than 30 seconds to determine if they will back your project or not, so you need to have two things done perfectly. First, you need a great video that captivates someone in the first 10 seconds. If you don’t get them in the first 10 seconds, they are likely leaving the page. Next, you need a professional looking page that has eye-catching graphics. Noone wants to see a page full of plain 12 point Times New Roman font.
- I will walk you through my process of crafting the message of your video and page. People are buying the story as much as they are buying the product.
- How to record and edit your own video. This can save you thousands. Literally, thousands. Go ahead and reach out to a few videographers – it’ll cost you $3,000 – $5,000 to get a video scripted, filmed, and edited. I’ll show you how to do it for less than $50. Remember, people buy the story not the production value.
- How to create your own graphics so you don’t have a boring and bland page. I’ll teach you how to quickly create graphics for your page, just like ones you see on my Kickstarter page and also on this page.
It can be deceivingly simple. It seems like you are just making a few tiers for your product or the variations of your product but it is much more complex than that. If you don’t set up your reward tiers properly you will likely make one of these two common mistakes. The most common is making your reward tiers too complex. The next most common is not creating a cheap enough option and an expensive enough option – not doing these is leaving money on the table. I will show you how to:
- How to configure your reward levels for whatever you are offering. Setting this up properly can either make your life really easy when it comes time to fulfill the orders, or it can make fulfillment a nightmare. No worries, we will make sure it’s a breeze.
- Create rewards that your backers will rave about. Learn the best strategies to offer $1 options as well as high-end offers to get the most backers and funds for your project.
- How to setup Stretch Goals that increase engagement and backers when you get close to your goal.
- Find a freight forwarder to import your goods (if your product is being sourced domestically, then you won’t have this need)
- Getting your backers to complete the Kickstarter survey so that you can actually ship them your product and also how to construct your survey so that you get all the information needed to fulfill your various reward tiers.
- Are you going to do the shipping yourself? When you get a lot of backers you’ll be strongly considering not doing this, I promise. I’ll show you how to either find a local vendor or partner with an established eCommerce fulfillment partner.
Have a great idea but not that time to do all this? Are you looking for a “done for you” service? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can talk about the offerings to get your Kickstarter launched and funded with little involvement from you.