So, you are ready to publish a podcast. Awesome!
Once you’ve recorded at least one podcast episode and have your podcast host selected, then you are ready to publish a podcast on all the major platforms. (If you don’t already have a host, then read about the one I use here)
As you will see below, there are several distribution platforms that we will connect your podcast to but Apple Podcast is by far the largest platform. As I stated above, make sure you have at least one podcast episode uploaded into your host.
Your URL will look like https://rss.simplecast.com/podcasts/3518293211/rss if you are using Simplecast as I do. It will look almost the same on the other hosts as well. This URL is the key to publish a podcast – without it you can’t connect to any of the platforms.
Note: If you’re still using Simplecast in Trial mode, you’ll need to add a debit/credit card before your RSS feed will be enabled. Please remember, you’ll also need to have at least one episode published.
How To Publish a Podcast On Apple Podcast
Here is what you need to do to publish your podcast RSS feed to Apple Podcast, the world’s largest podcast platform.
- Go to Apple’s Podcasts Connect login page and sign in using your Apple ID.
- If you don’t have an Apple ID, you will need to create one.
- When logged in you will see a “+” icon in the top-left corner of the screen – click on that.
- Head over to your Simplecast dashboard, or whatever host you use, and click on the Sharing section.
- Copy your show’s RSS feed URL (reference above to see what it looks like) and then paste it into the form over on Podcasts Connect.
- Click the verify button and wait for Apple to validate the feed then click submit.
Note: According to Simplecast, if your feed URL doesn’t validate, your feed might be missing some information (check Podcast Settings) or you may not have at least one published episode.
Now….. you wait. They usually get back to you pretty quickly. Your podcast should now go live on Apple Podcasts sometime in the next 24 hours and they will notify you via email when your podcast is accepted, or if there are any problems.
How To Publish a Podcast On Google Podcast
Next, let’s connect your podcast RSS feed to Google Podcast and Google Play, which is a fastly growing platform. You will need a Google account for this.
- First, sign into Google Play Music with the Gmail account you want to be associated with your podcast.
- Click “add podcast” and paste in your RSS feed URL.
- Remember, you can find the RSS Feed URL within your host dashboard. (in Simplecast it’s on the Sharing page)
- Next, you will need to verify your Gmail account.
- Now you just have to wait for Google to approve your podcast.
How To Publish a Podcast On Spotify
Another up and coming platform is Spotify. Let’s connect your podcast RSS feed so you can reach that audience.
Not all podcast host allow you to submit your podcast to Spotify but Simplecast does.
In order to submit your podcast, you will need to fill out this form so they can submit to Spotify for approval.
You may have to wait 2-7 days before your podcast is published on Spotify after you submitted the above form. The Simplecast team will email you once it’s submitted. Soon they will have the Spotify podcast submission form built into the platform, but until that happens just use the above form.
How To Publish a Podcast On Stitcher
In order to add your podcast to Stitcher, you will need to complete the form on this page and request approval to have your podcast show on the Stitcher SmartRadio.
How To Publish a Podcast On iHeart Radio
This isn’t a huge platform but I thought that I’d include it for those that listen to podcasts on iHeart Radio. You will need to fill out this form.